It is the tenant’s responsibility and the landlord’s recommendation that tenants test their alarms on a monthly basis. If during the test, the alarm does not sound replace the battery. It is against the policy of Town & Island Company for any tenant to disable a smoke detector.
To Test a Smoke Detector:
- Press the button on the unit. The unit should sound loudly for about 20 seconds then stop.
- If the alarm does not sound, replace the battery (see below).
- If the alarm is chirping intermittently, replace the battery.
To Replace a Smoke Detector Battery:
- If the unit has a twist off cover, turn the cover counter clockwise.
- If the unit has an external battery pocket, push in the compartment then release until the battery is revealed.
- Locate and remove the old battery. Use only new alkaline batteries. (An alkaline battery may last for a year.)
- Close the case and re-test the unit (see above).