It is the tenant’s responsibility and the landlord’s recommendation that tenants test their alarms on a monthly basis. If during the test, the alarm does not sound replace the battery. It is against the policy of Bennett Properties, LLC and Bennett Holdings, LLC for any tenant to disable a smoke detector.
To Test a Smoke Detector:
- Press the button on the unit. The unit should sound loudly for about 20 seconds then stop.
- If the alarm does not sound, replace the battery (see below).
- If the alarm is chirping intermittently, replace the battery.
To Replace a Smoke Detector Battery:
- If the unit has a twist off cover, turn the cover counter clockwise.
- If the unit has an external battery pocket, push in the compartment then release until the battery is revealed.
- Locate and remove the old battery. Use only new alkaline batteries. (An alkaline battery may last for a year.)
- Close the case and re-test the unit (see above).